Thursday, February 14, 2019

Princess Charming Essay -- Disney Fairytales Essays

Princess Charming Methodology I started thinking intimately an appropriate topic for my Field Report months ago. I considered the world of spunk culture in Chicago. Then I decided I knew in any case much already astir(predicate) this so I considered perhaps skate culture. At least this way I could learn something that I wasnt familiar with firsthand. But still, I have had a significant amount of characterization to skateboarding so I kept searching. I considered the already sanction topics and looked specifically at folklore in pansy tales. I have been a fan of Disney movies since I was little, and other than considering which princess I wished to be like most, I never gave them a second thought. Once I began to think about them, I came up with some conclusions that make my view of Disney, and of pansy tales in general, less than magical. I concluded that my premise would be that indeed fairy tales are rich with folklore considering their epochlessness, oral tradition, and mythical stories full of common themes. However, these motifs go beyond merely romance, adventure, and evil. Included in this list should be the false standards for female beauty, female dependence on males for identity, female submission, and the idea that women get to be somehow saved by a heroic man. This query is not intended to prove that fairy tales are themselves evil or dissuade readers from ever watching another Disney re-make. It will instead hopefully encourage viewers to watch with a more critical eye, and in recognizing both the positive and negative folkloric characteristics of the films, change the concept of a fairy tale as a little girls dream, to what it really is a unreal story intended for the entertainment and amusement of children. ... ...e how filmmaking and its characters have evolved over time and what kind of progress we are making. Overall though, I enjoyed looking at these two movies from another, more critical, perspective. There are a lot of dark connotations that I wasnt previously aware of. Once I started taking notice, they became ubiquitous. I look forward to the day when a woman holds the door for a man, an aggressive and confident woman is not made out to be the villain, and a man awaits his princess charming. Works CitedCampbell, Joseph. 1961. Departure, Chapter 1 in Hero with a Thousand Faces, first published 1949, 49-95. Princeton, New Jersey Princeton University Press. Cinderella. Walt Disney, 1950. Green, Philip. Cracks in Hollywood ideology and Gender in Hollywood. Amherst University of Massachusetts Press, 1998. Sleeping Beauty. Walt Disney, 1959.

No comments:

Post a Comment